Monday, February 13, 2012

the best intentions...put off again

Eventually I'll get the hang of this "regular blog updating" thing. Again, a lot has happened since my last post, life has a way of filling up when you aren't looking.

So far the year is full of turning points. I just turned 39. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Part of me feels like I should have had a lot more accomplished before now. But then I look back on my life and realize that I have done and experienced more then a lot of people. I've lived in numerous states and have traveled the world. However, my job descriptions will better give you a snapshot of my life so far: babysitter, fast food, Disney World, occasional shop-worker in my dad's wood shop, cocktail waitress, bartender, US Navy as an electronic warfare tech, college student in fine art, numerous retail positions, volunteer, flame-worker and jewelry designer and, most importantly, wife/officer's spouse and mommy. 

I guess I'm right were I should be in my life :)

My next turning point is a little more tangible. We are moving in a month from lovely San Diego to Virginia Beach! I'm excited for the change of pace but I hate the actual act of moving. Plus I'm horrible at saying goodbye. We've had a great time in San Diego and have made some lifelong friends.

Our landlord has been nothing but a miracle. She has been a true friend who I'm going to miss an incredible amount. We were extremely fortunate to stumble onto her property while house hunting. Opting to rent was the best decision we could have made. Even though I'm looking forward to a bigger house in Virginia, nothing is going to compare to having her as a neighbor.

I'm also really going to miss my fellow flame-workers led by the wonderful and extremely talented Heather Trimlett. Since I've been in San Diego I've been a regular attendee of her intermediate classes. She has a wealth of knowledge and it has been a privilege to be able to pick her brain the last 3 years. If you are ever in the area and are interested in flame-working please take the time to take one of her classes. You won't regret it!!! She also sells some fabulous tools and tutorials. Heather's beads are pure eye-candy with their bright contrasting colors and extreme precision.


Heather Trimlett beads

Most recently I was able to take a class from the incredible Caitlin Hyde. She is another person I would highly recommend taking a class with. The class was titled "Making Faces." What I learned in her class was beyond the price of admission. It will only enhance what I've already learned from Heather. In contrast to Heather's beads, Caitlin works in a more subdued color palette with more focus on "drawing" on the beads. A lot of things "clicked" into place after this class.


Caitlin Hyde beads


some of my beads from Caitlin's class


Currently I'm working on a couple of pieces that are either gifts or commissions. Most are still a work in progress... as is my wonderful life.

earring and necklace set in fun summer-time colors

mascot purple husky pandora-style beads

yummy spring color-block beads soon to be turned into a...

No comments:

Post a Comment